Healthy body starts with a healthy gut. Dietary fibre is the digestive superstar that brings you an array of health benefits!
What is dietary fibre?
The part of plant foods that escapes digestion and reaches the colon. They aid bowel movements and feed the good bacteria. There are 3 types – soluble fibre, insoluble fibre and resistant starch – all with slightly different superstar characteristics to keep your gut clean and healthy.
What are the health benefits of a fibre-rich diet?
Gut health (e.g. constipation, reflux, irritable bowel, inflammatory bowel)
Diabetes prevention & management
Where do you get fibre? From plant foods!
• Wholegrains – whole wheat, brown rice, rye, barley, bran, oats.
• Legumes – lentils, beans, peas.
• Fruits – wash and eat the skins too.
• Vegetables – the more colours the better.
• Nuts and seeds – a handful a day plays magic to health.
How do I know if I’m getting enough fibre? Answer the following questions.
• Do you suffer from constipation, diarrhoea, reflux, bloating and/or bad wind?
• Do you have difficulty losing weight, or maintaining weight?
• Do you become hungry quickly after a meal?
• Do you have constant craving for food?
• Are you’re on a gluten-free diet, low carb high protein diet, or the paleo diet?
If you answered yes to any of them, it’s likely that you’re not getting enough fibre, or you’re not getting the right type of fibre. Fumi (dietitian/nutritionist) can help you find a solution.
Want to know more on how to become healthy, fit and vibrant?
Contact Fumi on 9452 2292 or 0430 391 951. You can also book online to make an appointment to see Fumi.
As an accredited practicing dietitian, Fumi can help you manage your diet and lifestyle to achieve optimum health. Medicare and private health rebates available.